Deploy WinForms Custom/User Controls with Nuget

Topics: General
Mar 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Hi, im running in trouble trying to distribute some compiled (assembly) User Control Library for Windows Forms.

In this library i generate the nuspec with "nuget spec" it has some other dependency from other package, then i publish it in our local repository.

When in some project i add the package, first problem the controls doesnt show in the toolbox and when i go to "Choose items..." i dont know where is the place to pick the assembly, if i go to the packages folder it is version dependent and when i pick the user control assembly it fails saying some dll is missing (its in other package).

Any good guide on how to distribute user controls with Nuget to avoid this problems ?
Mar 26, 2014 at 2:46 AM
NuGet is a way of distributing runtime dependencies, so for control libraries my personal view is that design-time support should be put aside.

One of my projects "Crad's ActionList for .NET" uses such an approach, where its NuGet package only contains the runtime library. Its design time support was moved to a dedicate installer and hosted on Dropbox.

I am not sure whether that's the best practice, and I'd like to see what others say about it.
Mar 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Thanks for you reply, i dont agree with "NuGet is a way of distributing runtime dependencies", i think is more, and in the Home section states: "NuGet is the package manager for the Microsoft development platform".

I can understand some features have to be build and the tool has yet to growth, i can also understand if the good people behind this says "we are not going to do VS or other IDE specific support". But currently some latest features have to do with TFS so i dont see the problem with extending the features to be more friendly with VS, in fact already there is a official VS extension.

Hope someone makes a nice written feature request for NuGet to support more VS integrationof installed packages.