Encrypted password make CI build fail

Topics: General
Dec 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I have a nuget server. Pushing and pulling from a local machine works fine.
Because of security you need to log in on the server, so I added the username and password to the nuget.config. The password is encrypted.

I kicked off a local msbuild: Packages are downloaded and installed, project is build and, if needed, the created packages are pushed to the nuget server.

So, next was to commit the changes of the code to a TFS server. This server does the same with the MSBuild as the local build. However... It gives me an error:
Key not valid for use in specified state.

After some digging in Google I found out ... nothing. So I did some try-and-die. First thing I did was removed the encrypted password and added a clear password. I checked it in and the build was successfully, no problems at all.

I tried a local build on a different machine, with encrypted password... Error!

Conclusion: Somehow the encryption uses something specific information of my machine, cool. But this gives me problems as stated above.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Use one encrypted password on different machines (read: Build server).

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM
This is tracked in https://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/1744 . Please vote there for abolishing this snake oil.