Some questions about unversioned hintPaths

Topics: General
Apr 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Whatever I'm writing here is my customer's requests so please don't get angry :-)
We have about 200 solutions with 1300-1400 projects and approximately 15000 references in these projects.
The references are consists of 3rdParty DLLs and internal DLLs. Some projects uses one version of 3rdParty DLL and others uses a newer or an older one.
I'm not using the official gallery at all but only a local feed because the official gallery doesn't always has the right version I need for a certain 3rdParty.
Moreover, to overcome a NuGet bug, I have changed all 3rdParties packages names from, for example, Microsoft.EnterpriseLibrary... to <customer's company name>.Microsoft.EnterpriseLibrary...
I did that because whatever I have tried with NuGet configuration (removed all source configurations of the official gallery), it always tried to install 3rdParty packages from the official gallery and failed if it didn't find although I have that package in my local feed.
Now let's go to the interesting part. I'm installing my packages using the RestorePackages task in the nuget.targets and updating and installing using a msbuild pre build event into one packages folder for all projects using the packages.config file (each project has one packages.config file).
What I basically need is as follows:
I want to use an unversioned hintPath for the internal DLLs and versioned hintPath for the 3rdParty DLLs.
I tried some things but with no success.
I saw that there's a plan to add this ability in the future and my questions are:
1) When approximately is it going to be released?
2) What is the last solution you have chosen to go with (I read about different solutions)
3) Will the "Manage Nuget Packages" window be a part of the solution? What I mean is
if I'll install a package that should be installed into a non versioned hintPath, will it be 
installed using the "Manage Nuget Packages" window into a versioned hintPath (as it is 
Apr 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM
At this time, we have no plan to support unversioned hintPaths.
Apr 14, 2013 at 6:56 AM
dotnetjunky wrote:
At this time, we have no plan to support unversioned hintPaths.
Thanks for the info
Apr 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM
This is on our list for ProGet Client Tools, but our main hold-up has been keeping compatability with NuGet. We're thinking that this won't be possible, but are open to suggestions if you have any...