How to properly contribute a feature?

Topics: General
Jan 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Edited Jan 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Hi, all. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched around and I can't seem to figure out how to contribute! The obvious page ( seems to be out of date (for example, the code reviews section is all about Mercurial).

I've forked the project and made changes, and I now want to get some feedback from the project maintainers; what's the best way of doing that? I thought it might be to do a pull request, but when I tried to do that, I found there was a lot of stuff in the list of changes that had nothing to do with me -- it was all to do with upstream merges. (Note that "git diff upstream\master ." gives just my changes, as I expected.) Do I need to do a rebase, or something? Please bear in mind, I don't know much about git.  :o)

Thanks a lot,

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for pointing it out. We need to update the Contribute page.

To answer your question: The first thing you should do is create a new discussion, introducing the feature that you want to contribute and describing your solution/approach to it. Once we have agreed on every aspect of the feature, you can go ahead and start coding on your fork. When you complete, send a pull request.

You generally don't need to rebase if your originally branched off of master. I'd also suggest you spend little time familiarizing yourself with git. :)