Native Package Support Implementation

Topics: Ecosystem, General
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM

A month or so ago, Garrett Serack from CoApp talked with members of the NuGet team about adding native package support to NuGet. Apparently a design document has been signed off by the NuGet team (https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EEA34B2FE3105410!11794) He doesn't have time to work on it but fortunately I've been given work time to work on it as part of my job as Developer Advocate working at Outercurve.

I'd like to get some advice on the implementation of this from the NuGet team. After looking through the code base, I'm not quite sure the best way to modify the class structure. Since other people know the code base better, they might have a better idea on how best to modify it.

Any thoughts from anyone on the best way to go about doing this?

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Hi,

I'm happy to work with you on this. Are you a MS employee? If yes, we can schedule a meeting to go over the design and implementation details.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

DotNetJunky,

No, I work for Outercurve Foundation. Will that be a problem?

Eric

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No, it's not a problem. How did you know about Garrett's design?

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

How do I best communicate with you? Are you using Skype or Lync? We can chat next week.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I've been a volunteer on CoApp for a couple years and I talk with Garrett regularly.

Skype or Lync are both fine. Lync would probably be best if we want to whiteboard or anything. 
Email me at eschultz@outercurve.org with the times that work for you; I'm very open time-wise.
Dec 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Could those discussions be had in public?

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

serialseb: Most of the things we discussed related to me understanding the code base better.

The link above should explain the general design direction and how things would work. I'm attempting a pretty simple initial attempt at this. My initial pass will ignore the ExtensionSDK+ part of the design as well as the ability of using Extension SDKs outside of the package directory. In part that's because my time is limited and in part because once we get some actual use of the feature, I think we'll have a better idea of the best way to go about implementing those features.

If you have any thoughts, concerns or ideas, feel free to share them here or via my email.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I already got C++ projects working with nuget in another fashion. In doing so I got a bit familiar with the code base and am still willing to help with this.

If you are willing to share the effort to get this working let me known. The starting point would be to get a fork up to share the work on this. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

teajay: I'll try to get something pushed to my fork today. You can email me at eschultz@outercurve.org if you want to discuss how we can work together on this.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

To anyone interested, I've posted information on my prototype in a forum post at: http://nuget.codeplex.com/discussions/412012. Please comment there; we need as many people in the NuGet community sharing their opinions.