Package Machine Level?

Topics: General
Oct 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM

So recently, it seems a lot of packages were updated.  So I went into "Project1" updated, then "Project2" updated, et cetera.  Of course, I then found out I can update within a solution--great, love it.

However, now everytime I create a new MVC4 project, I have to update everything in that project (EF5, MVC4, jQuery, et cetera).

I'm running VS2012.  Is there a way (with NuGet) I can say, update my "Machine" packages?

Or, everytime there is an update to something (MVC, EF, jQuery et cetera) do I run Web Platform Installer?

Or, do I copy the packages from a project and place them in the location new projects retrieve them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Oct 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hello Sean,

NuGet is meant for installing and updating packages at the project, website, or solution level, and WebPI is meant for installing developer tools on the machine, outside the scope of a single application.  Because they're disjoint scenarios, we maintain the two as separate products. 

If you need to manage packages across a large number of solutions, you might want to investigate whether the NuGet command line tool would help you.  Its NuGet package name is NuGet.CommandLine, and it provides a simple command-line interface for package management that you can use in scripts. Check the documentation at to see if this would work for you.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thank you for the response.  However, it is not that I need to manage packages across a large number of solutions--it's that I'm testing and/or training myself, creating many new projects. Each time I create a new project I have to update approximately 10+ packages before beginning testing and/or training.

I orignially installed Visual Studio 2012 RC with the Prereleases of MVC4, EF5, et cetera.  So for each new MVC4 project the NuGet Package Updates include many updated packages.  So, should I run (rerun) WebPI to update all the packages?  Is that the "best"/"only" way to update the packages at the machine level?  Are they even called "packages" at the machine level?

Thank you for this clarification,

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Hello Sean,

In general, you will want to upgrade to the RTM versions of these products, since they will have a number of improvements above what we shipped for the release candidate.  And yes, while Web PI isn't the only way to install these products -- the ones you named can be downloaded separately from the Microsoft Download Center -- using Web PI is an excellent way to get these latest versions in one stop.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM

This issue is tracked as part of 

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The workaround to update the packages at machine level can be found here @