Three problems when trying to setup a hosted nuget server

Topics: General
May 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Hello

I Encountered three problems when trying to setup a hosted nuget server in a disconnected environment.

I think those are bugs that should be resolved.

Please refer to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10716156/unable-to-download-packages-from-a-self-hosted-nuget-server-404-error/10734428#10734428

In short:

1) The server failed to serve symbols packages (with ".symbols.nupkg" extension)

2) The server failed to serve packages if not placed flatly under the root packages folder

3) The server failed to serve packages if folder location (configured in web.config) was a absolute path not below the web site.

David

Developer
May 30, 2012 at 5:39 PM

1) Symbol packages are different and NuGet.Server isn't designed to serve them.

2) We are addressing this in 2.0.

3) Sounds like a bug. Please feel free to open a bug and \ or send us a pull request :)

May 30, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I think (1) could be improved too. If you put MyPackage.1.0.nupkg and MyPackage.1.0.symbols.nupkg in the Packages directory, NuGet.Server should ignore the symbols package, but it does not. As a result, the PackageHash and other metadata may be calculated for the same package id/version but using the symbols package, and this can result in errors when the client validates the hash.

NuGet.Server should exclude *.symbols.nupkg when looking for nupkg files in the Packages folder.

May 31, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Edited May 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM

As for issue #1, if symbol packages are not supported, they should not be listed in the feed, but they do, even if no-symbols package does not exist. However, in my opinion, the server should serve the symbols package if the no-symbols package does not exist. Should be a easy fix ..

Opened a bug for issue #3: http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/2270

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Regarding #3, I have this working. Make sure the app pool has the correct permissions for the packages folder.

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM

um, yep, I tried many times, but failed.

Thanks a lot for your tip above, Peter there :)

"correct permissions for the packages folder"