Installing NuGet without running VS2010 as admin

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Hi,

In our organization we've got this dev environment set up, and I realize this may scare the hell out of many of you: we work in a Citrix environment. This means that multiple developers may be working on this same Win2008R2 machine simultaneously. Also, our personal folder is on a network share, rather than c:\Users\etcetera. Up until now this hasn't really caused us much problems. Even installing and using VS extensions works fine. Except for NuGet.

The thing is this: from within our Citrix session, we (i.e. the developers) cannot run our applications in admin mode. Which is required for installing NuGet. I would have hoped there is an alternative method of installing it (similar to the installation of the TFS Power Tools with an msi installer), but unfortunately that's not the case.

So I guess I'm asking: Is there a way of getting NuGet to work in our environment?

Thanks

Fréderic

Developer
Apr 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

One work around until someone comes up with something more sensible: could you try extracting the contents of the vsix (it's a zip file) to %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\NuGet?