How to switch between nuget package and local project reference

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Is this possible with some tools or nuget trick (command line, etc) to easily switch between nuget and local project reference.

I have 3 projects in my solution Core, Controls and Demo. Core is nuget package, Controls nuget package which depends on Core and Demo depends on Controls.

Now, while I'm developing new version or fixing bugs I need to use local references instead of referencing through nuget, but when I'm publishing to nuget server I want to switch back to referencing through nuget. I found this VS tool, but it crashes:

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I'm not aware of any. I tend to do all of my local dev using project references, and then test before pushing the package by installing the packages. I created an issue to add project references as a feature (, but it hasn't made it high enough up the priority list to consider.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for explanation, it hurts though ).

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

There's a project called 'ripple', which reportedly does something like what you're requesting:,-the-utility-that-saves-you-from-your-personal-nuget-hell.aspx

Source here:

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Aug 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I just implemented the new Visual Studio extension NuGet Reference Switcher which allows to do that: