support for downloading/unzip files

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:12 AM

nuget download tools/temp/
nuget unzip tools/temp/ -o tools/ruby

I think it might be a good idea for nuget.exe to add support for downloading files. This will allow me to add a file call PrepareDevEnvironment.bat which will download the installers and save it locally so the users can install it. (In ruby case we can also use the portable ruby and extract it temporarily without admin permissions and build the project.)

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM
What you are describing is a use case for chocolatey (environment set up).
Feb 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

powershell doesn't work on mac and linux :(

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

also chocolatey actually uses installers, which mean they will require admin rights. I would like to use portable versions so no admin rights are required. (The only thing they would require is to have .net framework or VS installed.)

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Therein lies the confusion of what chocolatey does or doesn't do. Chocolatey and using chocolatey itself does not require one to have administrative rights. That's one of the great things about chocolatey.

That said, some of the packages require admin rights, but one could use/create packages that do not. They are just PowerShell. Or packages that have an executable in them. Or both. So you could write packages of the portable versions.

Take the NodeJS packages for example. NodeJS does not require admin rights on the machine. NodeJS.Install does.
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Visual Studio doesn't work on Mac and Linux either (last time I checked). Which means if you are hacking on .NET, you probably have a Windows VM sitting around somewhere. And you can most definitely use chocolatey on that. :D
Feb 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I thought most of chocolatey was based on powershell. I will need to play around with it.

For mac and linux I will be using mono to build. And it's pretty easy for them to install ruby even without the script, it just seems like most windows users don't want to install ruby. So for now PrepareBuildEnvironment.bat will be specific to win users. For other OS there will just be an info in readme.

I guess the bess would be to create a chocolate package called 'ruby-portable'.

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Many thanks for that info on unziping files.