Namespace-like package IDs and the package manager console

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:27 PM
From http://docs.nuget.org/docs/creating-packages/package-conventions:

Package Id Conventions

Namespace-like names: Package IDs should follow a pattern similar to namespaces in .NET. For example, Ninject.Mvc3 instead of Ninject-Mvc3.

From package manager console:

netfx-System.Net.Http.HttpE... 1.1.0.54 Builds on top of HttpClient and provides the easiest way to interface
netfx-System.Threading.Thre... 1.0.0.15 Provides strong-typed persistence of data in Thread local storage, whi
netfx-System.Xml.XmlSerializer 1.0.0.5 Provides a generics version of XmlSerializer.
Newtonsoft.Json 4.0.2 Json.NET is a popular high-performance JSON framework for .NET
NuGetPackageUpdater 1.0.0.0 NuGetPackageUpdater - global update of a package in a project or all p
Rx-Core 1.0.2856.0 Core library for Rx. Contains code shared by all Rx libraries.
Rx-Main 1.0.2856.0 Main library for Rx. Contains Observable operators.
SqlServerCompact 4.0.8482.1 SQL Server Compact. An embedded SQL database.
Thinktecture.IdentityModel 1.0.0.0 Thinktecture.IdentityModel extends and adds new functionality to the W

Maybe the ID "column" in the formatted output in the console should be wider? maybe taking space from the version column which is unnecessarily wide?
Leaving netfx aside, even Thinktecture is only 4 chars from the limit. What if they happen to do a Thinktecture.IdentifyModel.Extensions one later?

I think the longest ID found should determine the width of that first text column.

Thoughts?

/kzu

--
Daniel Cazzulino | Developer Lead | MS MVP | Clarius Consulting | +1 425.329.3471
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I think people should choose shorter IDs. :P

Is there some point where we should still truncate? For example, if someone has a package with 180 characters, that’s going to set a weird column length.

Could you log a bug on this?

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Done: http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/1147

As I mention in the bug, if you happen to see a very very long one, you can always specify a narrower filter using -Filter, right?

Also, it's quite unlikely that people will be just browsing packages using the console...

I wouldn't care much if update-package had package ID completion for the selected project, honestly... But because currently I do have to specify the full package name, there's no other way to get it than listing it or opening the .config (yuck!)

Developer
Jun 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Completion is much improved for update in 1.4