Clean end-to-end to create NuGet from a solution

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Let me paint a picture that I'd love to have on the creation side of NuGet.

1. In VS, right click on my solution and see a NuGet option in the context menu.
  2. On first load, the window is black w/ a button 'NuGet this solution'. Click it.
  3. The window lights up, lists out the projects. It's easy to pick the projects you want to include. Defaults for SL vs .NET are populated, etc.
    1. Version information, authorship, etc is inferred from project properties.
    2. Options to add more details are provided.
    3. Dependencies are inferred from existing packages.config files, etc.
  4. Maybe some options to say 'build package' when I do a certain configuration build...only Release, for instance.

I guess I've struggled with some duplication of data.

• I'd rather add extra data to sln + csproj files
  • Separate NuSpec files hurt my head (not very DRY)
  • Layering on enforcement of invariants gets easier, too
    • All assemblies in a package should have matching version numbers to the package
    • Same for author, company, copyright, etc.
    • Tools to allow global update would rock, too.

Certainly it's easy to shoot from the hip and paint this picture (PM hand-waving as they call it at Microsoft).

Who owns the UX vision for NuGet? I see a lot of side projects sprouting up. I'd love to see a vision outlined others could plug into

...or maybe I just missed that wiki page. :-)

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I see the Specs page. I guess my question becomes, how does one plug into that process?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Step 1 is to start a discussion. Which you already did! Step 2 is to perhaps flesh out what you mean in this discussion (or set of discussions if you want each discussion to focus on one specific feature or area).

Eventually we’ll agree that the discussion should be a work item and we’ll create a work item and try to summarize the discussion in a spec.

I typically write up the specs, but am always happy to have others help if they seem committed to the project. J

Phil