NuGet Package Explorer does not work against Local Feed Server built from latest build

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

The NuGet Package Explorer will not retrieve package information against my Local Feed Server built from the latest build.  It works against the Nuget master feed at:  This URL contains the following name value pair:

that is not supported in the in the version of the service built from the latest build "server" project. The result is that I can not access packages on my local server using this tool.  I have had to use the following URL in order to get my local feed server to respond:

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Yes, that's a bug. The easiest fix would be for Package Explore to only rely on DownloadCount for sorting, which makes more sense anyway so all versions of a package stay together.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM

Is there a way for me to adjust my URL in order to display the results in Package Explorer until this issue is resolved?

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:51 PM

You can use Fiddler to write a custom request rule to modify the url on the fly which replaces VersionDownloadCount with DownloadCount.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Btw, I think using VersionDownloadCount is the better option. If one wants to see all versions of a package to stay together, he can sort by Id.

Perhaps we should see if it's possible to change the Server project to support VersionDownloadCount.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The ideal behavior would be for it to collapse versions. Right now neither of the choices are very good:

• Sort by VersionDowloadCount and it's really hard to find the latest version
  • Sort by Id and you lose the benefit of seeing popular packages first
Mar 25, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I actually tried implementing the collapsing of versions the other day. I hit some technical issues, so I decided to punt it to vnext. :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:01 AM

@ericwood123: How did you create your Local Feed Server? Did you download the NuGet.Server package from or did you build from the nuget source tree? I ask because we are fixing the bug with the Server project so that it will support the VersionDownloadCount attribute. Then we will push the fix as an update to the NuGet.Server package.

So if you created your feed from the NuGet.Server package, you'll get the fix soon.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I built my Local Feed Server from the NuGet source tree.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I checked in the fix last week. Try getting the latest and rebuilding the server project.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM

I pulled down build nuget_7f088a124042, built the server and deployed to my Local Feed. The Package explorer now displays the packages correctly, but I am unable to open any of the packages. The display indicates a 404 error when I select a package for inspection.  I can install packages in projects from the same local feed via the Package Manager console.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM

what is the version of Package Explorer you're running?

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Beta 2

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM

are you running through any proxy?

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I've just released Package Explorer 1.0. Can you update to this version and see if the problem still persists?

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I have downlaoded and installed the version and I can access packages from my Local Feed server.  Thank you.

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Great. Glad to hear that it's working for you finally.