Too Many DLLs

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM

So I'm fairly new to NuGet, coming from Java and using maven, I love the idea of .NET having a dependency library/manager option.  However, and maybe I'm doing it wrong, one thing I dislike is including EVERY dll in the package, I wish there was a way to only select the dlls I want.  For instance, when I include the package Unity, in one of my projects I ONLY need Unity, but I get Unity.Configuration, Unity.Interception and Unity.Interception.Configuration.  I'm not a huge fan of including dll's that i don't need, so in my project I go and remove all the unneeded dll's, but then doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose?   Is there some feature that I'm missing to only select the libraries I want?

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM

The general guidance for creating packages is to make one package for each assemblies, unless there are no useful scenarios where an assembly could be used without another. For the most parts, I think packages are well componentized, but a few are not. So it's really more of a package specific issue than something about NuGet in generall.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:10 AM

If you feel the unity packages aren’t componentized correctly, it might be worth contacting them to ask them to make them more granular.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM

For this, I like the idea of a "meta-package".

For example, in this case, I think there should be two packages named something like "Unity.Core" and "Unity.Interception". Unity.Interception depends on Unity.Core. Then you make a "Unity" meta-package which effectively depends on all the individual packages, so you can easily install all of Unity in one go if that's what you're after (because I do think that both audiences will be using NuGet, and ignoring one in favor of the other isn't a great idea).

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Looks like Unity doesn't currently have an owner. We're going to need a volunteer. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM
Someone from the P&P team, perhaps Chris Tavares?