Implementing VSIX package without use of a vsct file in NuGet?

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Ello all,

I was looking at the source for NuGet and noticed that while it does utilize vsix packaging it doesn't use "the evil, error prone, xml tome" aka the vsct file in order to implement its additional various menu buttons and such. I've been feelin around the insides but am at a bit of a loss for specific details, I do know DTE (which i though was only for addons until I looked around at the T4 template stuff and this) is utilized (DTE's so well known for its amazing documentation among other things) but many of the specifics of how this is done escape me at the moment. While I am totally up for more feeling around the gooey insides of the NuGet I thought asking would redouble my efforts and perhaps fill in a blank or two for me.

In short (Too Late), how does Nuget add specific context menu items using vsix and DTE without vsct?

Note :I am currently looking in the NuPack.VisualStudio project of the NuPack Solution

I m asking this question as well at stackoverflow so if you wanna get a few extra points I will most certainly give them to you if at the end of this discussion anyone posts there. If not I'll still post whatever info I received and credit whoever helped.

the link to the original question:

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM

We do have a vsct file, take a look at the NuGet.Tools project.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:38 PM

There is a vsct file in the NuGet.Tools project.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM

FACEPALMs....soooo hard right now. 

i was just looking in the NuPack.VisualStudio project figuring it would all be in there. Sorry about that. DUH I'm feelin pretty stupid right now. lol

Thanks for your time and for humoring a noob. Guess there's no easy secret ninja technique to adding menus items painlessly.