updating nuget spec files

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I am considering Nuget for using internally in the company where I work.. while it is true that creating a nuget spec file does not take a lot of time for one package, the same is not true when you are managing a lot of packages.

Suppose I want to use it inside our company: we would have a lot of packages which can change frequently and which depend on each other... 
So when I am working on package A, which uses package B, C, D, E, F, each time I update one of the packages B, C, D, E or F, I should not forget to update the nuget specification file of my own package A.
* internal packages do frequently change
*  we would use Nuget solely for our internal packages.
* I work on multiple packages (suppose one package changes and I want to update all packages that use it, it means for each package I must remember to update the nuget spec file) 

So it would be intresting when you update a package you could specifiy to automatically update a specific nuget file with the new version requirement of that package... (or allow it to be added to the nuget file if it does not exists) 

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:00 AM

We're planning to change the way things work so that by default, packages specify a min version for dependencies, not an exact version.  This should allow you to update your B,C,D,E,F packages without updating A.  It's being discussed in this really long thread.

BTW, are your assemblies strongly named?  If not, then you can already solve this today by specifying a MinVersion in the .nuspec instead of a Version.