Visual studio extension for creating nuspec file

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I am thinking about creating an extension for visual studio which will help to create a basic nuspec file.

Based on the project output file it will populate metadata details (description, version) and will automatically detect dependencies (If they were added using nupack). The dependencies will be filtered so that if one dependency was added because of another one only the top level one will be specified in the file.

As the nuspec file is really easy to create by hand I am not sure whether it's worth or not to develop such an extension.

What's your opinion about it? Any extra features you would like?

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I'm not sure I follow the purpose of such an extesion. If the extension is to create a nuspec file you would have to add the assemblies to the project then run your extension. You would also have to put your assemblies in the right structure for building the package (which wouldn't necessarily be the way you structure it for reference). In addition, a package can do more than just add references (see ELMAH where it merges changes to web.config). I don't see how a tool could do that.

Sorry to rain on anyones parade but I think manually creating a nuspec file (about 10 lines of xml) is a no-brainer and don't see what you need a tool to do it for. If it were a complicated process that took hours to hand craft I could see that but in reality building a new package from scratch requires about 10 minutes of work (and 9 of those minutes is structuring the directory heiarachy).