How about a nupack server package?

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Just a thought but we could take the server bits and make it really easy to bring down the server bits as a package.  Maybe this is overkill, but we do not have a server build artifact and as I was considering which zip tool to use to create a serverbits.zip I thought we could just make it a package.

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Do you see it as something that would supplement an existing site (i.e. file > new > project > asp.net mvc empty site > add-package nupack-server). That would be interesting (either as a complete server or something that lights up another site).

Developer
Oct 9, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I have the same question as Bil. Would it turn an existing MVC site into a feed server or would it be the entire project?

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

I think Eric means neither of those. :)  Consider 3 different things:

1. Packages which brings the server functionality into an existing app.  i.e. it would contain mostly Content files.
  2. Package which doesn't affect any projects (i.e. solution level), but happens to contain the full MVC project (which would go under packages\TheServerPackageName).  You could then open this project in VS.
  3. Package which doesn't affect any projects (i.e. solution level), but happens to contain the deployed bits for the server app (which would go under packages\TheServerPackageName).  You would then point IIS to it and have a running server.

I believe Eric means #3, which is subtly different from #2.  Of course, I'll let him confirm :)

But my take on this is that #3 is exactly the scenario that Web Platform Installer (and Web Deploy) is designed for, so it may be more proper way of doing this.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:23 PM
I was thining of number 3.  But they are all interesting ideas. I was really looking to support some of the conversations that came up in regards to enterprises wanting to setup their own feeds.  I could see a team wanted to bring in the code and make some modifications and I could see an admin just wanting to get the bits running through web pi.

I think they all would have value. It may come down to which is the easiest to setup and maintain going forward.