Non Web project

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Hello :)

NuPack looks awsome but is there any reason that its tied to web apps specifically? as far as i understand you could use it for any .net project, but every time ive read about it, it has been in the context of web apps. Is that correct?

if so, please add some exmples or notes to say its not tied to web apps, people who arent .net fanboys like me will take for granted that its just for web apps based on the current samples/content :)

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM

It's not tied to web projects at all.  You're right, we need to demo it in other contexts as well :)

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I'm going to work with some WPF/Silverlight OSS folks tomorrow to see about getting their package in the feed.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Some MS guy got a working SL package today, so it can definitely be done! :)

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

very cool stuff :) cant wait to see more

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM

one of the way i reference libraries in non-web projects (websites) is by creating a text file with .dll.refresh as the extension.

lets say i want to add Elmah.dll as a reference in website.

so in my Website's Bin folder (Website\Bin) i create a file called Elmah.dll.refresh file which is a plain text file.

inside that text file (Elmah.dll.refresh) add the following line.

..\libs\Elmah\Elmah.dll

when msbuild (or visual studio) compiles the website it auto copies the Elmah.dll (class library), Elmah.pdb(debug information) and Elmah.xml (xml documentation). if it doesnot exist it skips.

might be nupack can have this feature, either to set as a reference if its a web app, or create a .dll.refresh file and copy it to the bin folder if it is a website.

Advantage to it is that the .dll.refresh files can be in source control too. (i usually ignore all the files in Website\Bin folder except the .dll.refresh files).

Developer
Oct 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM

This works today, try it :)