The Recent tab on the Dialog UI

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I'd like to know if folks find the Recent tab on the Dialog helpful/necessary? In order to implement it properly, we'd have to persist information of recent package ids on disk, and this data must be per-package source. I'm inclined to omit this feature (at least in V1).

IMO, a more helpful tab would be Updates, similar to the Extensions Manager dialog. What do you think?

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM
I think Recent is helpful (e.g., I use Moq and xUnit on just about every project I start), but Updates is certainly higher priority. I think we should remove Recent until we can think about its design and implementation some more.
Sep 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Y'know, favorites might be more useful than recent. I can mark the packages I use most often as favorites. Might be overkill though.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Agree with Drew on that.  Let's yank it for now.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Agree with having a Favorites. I'll log an issue. Might not make v1, but we should track it.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 22, 2010 at 5:45 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Sep 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Logged the following issues:

I went ahead and triaged the first one and assigned it to Luan (dotnetjunky).

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I think the favorite feature can wait until after v1.  Note that it can get pretty fancy once you start going down that road.  e.g. we could allow defining groups of packages that could all be installed together.

Note that all those things have already come up earlier, but we decided against getting too fancy there.  Instead, the user can accomplish the same thing by just writing a simple PS script that installs whatever they need for a specific scenario.  Drew, that might be something interesting for you to try out.  e.g. how easily can the user put together the a script that installs both Mop & xUnit in a project?  It should just be as simple as making 2 calls to add-package, but it's worth validating.

Let's keep v1 nice and simple! :)

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Agreed. Even simpler is creating a “dependency only” package. This is a concept I called out in my original spec.

1. You could create a package that doesn’t itself contain any files.
  2. In the .nuspec file list a set of your favorite packages. 
  3. Name the package “My Favorite Libraries”
  4. Put the package in a known location: c:\my-packages
  5. Add c:\my-packages as a new package source.
  6. Profit!

Very easy.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:03 PM

That is indeed something that can be done, though it's arguable whether it really is simpler than a simple .ps1 file with a bunch of 'add-package' commands. :)

Also, note that this approach will not work until we support using multi feeds at once, because the real packages won't be in your c:\my-packages.  Right?  On the positive side, this approach will work with the Web UI whereas the .ps1 approach won't.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

As you pointed out, it would work in the GUI. Right now, if I type in Add-Package ELMAH, we don't iterate through each feed looking for it if it's not found in default feed source? Do we have a bug on that, because I thought that was the intended behavior.

Ideally, we'd apply that same behavior for dependencies as well, that way the dependency only package doesn't have to be in the same feed as its dependencies.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM

It's the intended behavior eventually, but we don't have that now.  I think we had decided that we wouldn't do that for v1.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Ah, bummer, but probably a good decision. We have to realize that v1 is coming very soon and it’s time to start getting strict on what we’re going to implement. FYI everyone, we’re going to be creating a release branch soon for an upcoming MVC 3 release that will include NuPack in it. J

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I have just checked in the change which replaces the Recent tab with the Updates tab. I encourage everybody to play around with it and log bugs if you find any.