Hosting

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

There was an email thread on hosting a repository. I offered up a site on ORCSWEB which I think will handle the load but Eric mentioned there's one available on rackspace. So where did we land on this?

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I need to follow up internally. I'll get back to you soon.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Huh? Sorry, I'm confused. You asked if there was someone who could host this. Eric and myself offered. His seems to be more robust then what I might have so I say let's go with the rackspace option. Confused about what the internal thing is? I thought if Eric has the bandwidth we just set it up (and then we can do some real-world testing).

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM
IE, Microsoft would host this

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:09 PM, bsimser <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Huh? Sorry, I'm confused. You asked if there was someone who could host this. Eric and myself offered. His seems to be more robust then what I might have so I say let's go with the rackspace option. Confused about what the internal thing is? I thought if Eric has the bandwidth we just set it up (and then we can do some real-world testing).

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nupack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nupack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Okay, I'll just sit back and observe. From the original email I thought Phil was asking for one of us to host, at least an interim, repository.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

There is the short term and the long term.  Short term, we just need some robust location somewhere to host our temporary little feed server.  It doesn't need any UI other than the raw feed.  We will manually push packages to it, so it's important to have an easy way to do this.  e.g. ideally, all of us should have easy FTP access to we can push/update packages.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM
I can provide that

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM, davidebb <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

There is the short term and the long term.  Short term, we just need some robust location somewhere to host our temporary little feed server.  It doesn't need any UI other than the raw feed.  We will manually push packages to it, so it's important to have an easy way to do this.  e.g. ideally, all of us should have easy FTP access to we can push/update packages.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nupack@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nupack@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Gee, nobody reads my emails. Bil, I also said this:

Is it Beefy and high bandwidth? The Orchard team also has a server we can use. In that case, we may just ask you to curate the package feed. I’ll follow up on our side. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of hit the server takes initially.

Having said that, I think it'll be faster to have you guys set this up.

Key points

• This is purely temporary!
  • We need this up by Tuesday next week.
  • We would need you to curate the list by accepting package submissions via email and putting them in the feed.

Keep in mind, any feeds we accept during this preview phase are just for NuPack testing purposes. When we have the official feed up and running, people will need to re-submit.

Phil

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Sorry dude. I missed the context of the Orchard team. I’ll go away now.

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:23 PM

So what server is the safest bet? We want something that can handle a potential deluge of traffic, is ideally a dedicated server. Ideally, for this timeframe, I don't think we should all have FTP access. I think whomever owns the server should sign up to accept packages and put them in the feed.

I'll send you a zip of the web application you need to host. Adding a package to the feed is as simple as putting it in the ~/packages folder.

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM

One last point, we don't need a domain name for the feed yet. Hosting by IP is just fine. We're going to point http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=199193 to it anyways.

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Bil, is the Orcsweb one a personal plan? Eric, is the Rackspace one a corporate plan? From what I heard, RACKSPACE is heavy duty. Should we go with that? Any objections?

Phil

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I say lets go with Rackspace as I think it’s beefier. Orcsweb is the MVP offering (which I’ve just never used but have it setup).

Coordinator
Sep 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Ok, I'll follow up with Eric offline. Thanks everyone!

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I was totally thinking the link would be http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=1337 - lame I know. :)

____
Rob
"Be passionate in all you do"

http://devlicio.us/blogs/rob_reynolds
http://ferventcoder.com
http://twitter.com/ferventcoder

On Sep 15, 2010 2:45 PM, "haacked" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> From: haacked
>
> Ok, I'll follow up with Eric offline. Thanks everyone!
>
>

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM
that would have been so F'ing awesome!!
-d

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2010 at 12:32 AM

We’re way beyond that number. But I could sit here and create a bunch of new ones until we get too 201337 as in “Too leet!”. ;)

Phil