Is there a reason why having MVC versions specific NuGet packages as separate package rather than an updated version not popular?

Topics: General
Jan 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM
I recently had some issues finding a package that I needed to use with my MVC 4 Web API project. I read about the NuGet package (Owned by Microsoft) and wanted to install it through Visual Studio ‘Manage NuGet packages’ option.

Unfortunately I could not find the package version that I needed, only the latest version was showing in the list in the UI. I could have downloaded the latest version that was listed, but I did not want to get all its dependencies, which included MVC5.

So is there a reason why having MVC versions specific NuGet packages as separate package rather than an updated version not popular? So NuGet MyPackage.134 supports MVC 4 or greater, then MyPackage.2 is released and supports MVC 5 or greater.

I did not think (I hope I am not the only one) that if the latest version of the NuGet Package supports MVC5 and not MVC4 for example, that a previous version could have supported MVC4, which happened in my case. If it existed for MVC4, I would have thought they would be two separate packages.

For people like me I think it would be very useful if packages could be separated based on their lowest MVC version supported, so instead I will get MyPackage.MVC4.134 and MyPackage.MVC5.2 (our whatever version will make more sense), so that people like me who are restricted to MVC 4 could still find older packages using the NuGet manager UI, instead of having to browse to the NuGet website and search for the specific version of the package we are looking for.

Having the history of the package and being able to download specific version from the NuGet manager UI just like the website, I think would be quite handy.