2015 Preview Package Manager UI comments

Topics: General
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Some thoughts/suggestions on the Preview UI:

I seem to be able to download and partially install packages that are not compatible with my configured platform--it would be nice if either they didn't show up in my search results, or somehow show that it can't be installed into this configurations platform before trying a download/install.

In the package detail in the NuGet Package Manager form, it would be nice to detail the supported platforms (would partially fulfil above) for online packages.

The "Version" detail seems chopped off. There's lots of space to the right of that, maybe have this expand to fix/width of form?

I'm not seeing the need for a "Preview" button on Installed packages?

Could this form be more asynchronous? Seems to spit up a progress bar and go away until all packages are downloaded. It would be nice for the details to full up as they are received instead of all at the end. I could sometimes start an install of the package I need before all are downloaded.

Numbers like Downloads should be formatted based on my locale.

Dates like Date Published should be formatted based on my locale--in local time. Universal time is meaningless to everyone, except those who live in Greenwich England :)

Sizing the left pane (or right pane, depending on point of view :) ) will make the "Microsoft is not responsible" text take up more space than the list of packages. This isn't very useful--this disclaimer should be put somewhere else.

It would be nice to have a link to the nuget.org page for the package (where applicable). I don't expect to do everything from the Package Manager, but it would be nice to quickly jump to nuget.org to do infrequent tasks like report a package or contact owners

Being able to resize the panes is helpful.

I like that it defaults to a filter of All (as opposed to Installed) and nuget.org (I assume it will default to the first source in my list of sources?)
Developer
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM
I want to chime in on this suggestion from Peter:
“It would be nice to have a link to the nuget.org page for the package (where applicable). I don't expect to do everything from the Package Manager, but it would be nice to quickly jump to nuget.org to do infrequent tasks like report a package or contact owners”
Please note that a package can be installed/restored from other repositories as well (eg. myget.org), or even from an aggregate feed that has multiple upstream package sources.
There’s currently no link whatsoever between an installed package and the repository it originates from, and I’m not sure it’s a good idea to try to keep track of something this dynamic on the client (eg. in the case of feed aggregation, the client shouldn’t know or care which upstream package source actually contained the package, that’s the whole point of aggregation).

The only thing the UI can rely on imho is the package metadata contained within the package (eg. licenseUrl and projectUrl). This also ensures that all feed hosts can provide the same information.
If a link to nuget.org is to be exposed in the UI, I believe the same should be possible for other package repositories (some enterprises will only use internal feeds btw, in which case that link should point to their own repository instead of nuget.org).
This is also a VisualStudio specific thing, so it could make sense to expand on the “Add Package Source” UI in the Visual Studio options (and while at it, it would be awesome if one could simply point to a feed endpoint and have the server populate the other fields for the end-user.).
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Good point. So, I would clarify by saying "for package sources that provide a details URL, display it as a link". In terms of the nuget.org feed, that the GalleryDetailsUrl field.
Nov 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM
I would also like to see some option to update all packages for the solution. Though this is a trivial thing, but comes very handy at times

For applications using a particular .NET framework (say, .NET 4.5.3 in VS 2015 Preview), only packages applicable to the selected .NET framework should be visible

When using multiple Nuget sources, typically in an enterprise environment, we should have an option to select Package Source as 'All or Any'. The package window should however show the source.