Are Windows Phone 8 targeted packages compatible with Windows Phone 8.1?

Topics: General
Apr 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM
I have a package with a Portable Class Library published that targets Windows Phone 8 (as well as other frameworks).

If I create a new Windows Phone 8.1 app, I can manually add a reference directly to the binary in that package. It works and is compatible.

However, if I try to add the same reference to the NuGet published package, I get an error saying that the package doesn't specifically target Windows Phone 8.1 so the reference can't be added.

Should WP8 packages be seen as compatible with WP8.1 or am I misunderstanding? If they should be seen as compatible, I'm guessing I need to file a defect against NuGet for this.
Aug 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Could anyone from the NuGet team please respond to this question? This is a general problem that more developers run into and while you reported this to be fixed in NuGet 2.8.1 this still seems to be broken in the latest version (2.8.5).
Aug 18, 2014 at 4:38 PM
WP8 packages should be compatible with WP8.1 project (Silverlight-based), but not with Windows Phone blue (WPA81) projects.

Can you specify what is the portable library package folder structure (portable-***), and what's the project type you're trying to install the package to?
Aug 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM