Can I use nget as a general purpose installer

Topics: General
Feb 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Using VS2012 and disliking InstallShield LE, is it possible to use nuget as an installer?
Feb 20, 2014 at 2:43 AM
http://chocolatey.org/

You don't need to reinvent the wheels, unless you get a better idea than that.
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM
Depending on what AndyJW is wanted, Chocolatey might not be the answer, at least not directly.

Chocolatey, although based on nuget for deployment, relies on an installation package of some description, i.e. an exe, or an msi. This is what a tool like InstallShield, or WiX, or Wise, would create for you. Once packaged into an installer, Chocolatey can then be added to the mix to make the package management process that much easier. Depending on the type of project, Chocolatey does have some helper methods for deploying static files, extracting from zip files, and creating batch file redirects for files on the path, but again, it isn't free, there is still some up front work to do here.

Don't get me wrong, as part of the Chocolatey development team, I really want to see people using Chocolatey, but I want to make sure it is being applied to the right problems.

AndyJW, can you provide more details about what exactly you are packaging up into an installer?

Gary
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Class library, associated COM interop dll etc.

Using VS 2012 now forces me to use Installshield LE, which seems very limited. People have said abount WiX but that seems over the top. Elsewhere I have used NSIS for VB6/VBA stuff, but was hoping for something graphical and straightforward. Why do MS make this so difficult!