Feature request: - I want a feature in Nuget that help me to explore the Recent Nuget Package that I installed in my Apps.

Topics: General
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:42 PM
suppose I opened a project and install the nuget package. it's must be shown somewhere in Nuget inside my visual studio so next time If I want to use this Package again then I can do it.

For example Visual studio add reference to dll have shown the recent in another tab. The same process can be used in Nuget so developer easily install the package again that he have used in past.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:39 PM
We used to have a feature where we'd show "Recent" packages within the Manage NuGet Packages dialog. But it was a bug farm because everyone's expectation of what was "recent" was different. Only packages directly installed or packages installed as dependencies as well? The version of the packages installed or the latest version of those packages? Packages used within this solution only or packages used anywhere? What if I recently installed a package but it was already in the cache and therefore wasn't downloaded? What if I installed into a new project within a solution where it was already being used?

Because of those kinds of questions, we removed the feature.

However, if you want to see the 200 packages most recently downloaded to be used in any project, you can add your local NuGet cache as a package source. Here's how:
  1. In VS, click on Tools --> NuGet Package Manager --> Package Manager Settings
  2. Click on the Browse... button for your cache, which will open an Explorer window showing your cache folder
    • It's going to resolve to %LocalAppData%\NuGet\Cache
  3. Close the Explorer window after getting its path
  4. Click on Package Sources on the left tree of options
  5. Click the + icon to add a new source
  6. Edit the Name to be "Recent" or "NuGet Cache" or whatever you like
  7. Edit the package source to be your cache folder (note the environment variable won't be allowed)
  8. Click the Update button
  9. Click OK
Now, when managing NuGet packages, on the left side you'll have a "Recent" package source available. The cache holds up to 200 packages that have been most recently installed. Multiple versions of a package will be collapsed to be the most recent version of that package.