Manage NuGet Packages For Solution fails for solutions with large number of projects

Topics: Ecosystem
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Hey guys,
We have a number of large VS2012 solutions and we are in the process of migrating to NuGet for dependency management. In one particular solution, I have not being able to see the package list in NuGet Package Manager when I right click the Solution node in VS2012 and select "Manage NuGet Packages For Solution". It spins for a while then returns (404) Not Found. This only happens when there are > 231 projects loaded in the solution. In my case, if there are between 227 and 231 projects in the solution the package manager will return "One or more errors occurred." If I unload projects til the Solution node in Solution Explorer reads "(226 projects)" or lower, NuGet Package Manager can find packages as normal.

Is this a known issue? What gives?! It seems to happen in both NuGet 2.6 and 2.7.
Oct 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I found a temporary workaround. If you right click the first project that needs a reference and do Manage NuGet Packages, install the reference, then go back and hit "Manage NuGet Packages For Solution" and click "Installed Packages" you can then click "Manage" to select the rest of the packages in the solution.