Culture is not supported (VS2012)

Topics: General
Sep 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Hi,
On my VS 2012 installation the Package Manager Console does not work. It just displays the following message:

Culture is not supported.
Parameter name: name
neutral is an invalid culture identifier.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Robert
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I searched the phrase "neutral is an invalid culture identifier" and found that it can be linked to either an empty string used as the culture, or using the generic culture, such as "en" rather than "en-US". As this is not an easily reproducible issue with NuGet in general, I would focus on any customizations you or your org have done with your NuGet, and even your Visual Studio and PowerShell, implementations.

As the Package Manager Console is running PowerShell and accessing instances of Visual Studio classes, I'd focus on add-ins to both PowerShell and Visual Studio on your machine. Also, NuGet packages you've installed can add functionality to the Package Manager Console, so it could even be a poorly written PowerShell function from a NuGet package you've installed. Any package that had an install step to run a Console command to configure the installation is suspect. (For more information, see "Extending The Package Manager Console With Packages" on http://docs.nuget.org/docs/start-here/Using-the-Package-Manager-Console.

Also, if you start Visual Studio with no solution, do you still get the error? That would help you figure out if it's a NuGet package adding PowerShell functionality or if it's something more base in your system's PowerShell or Visual Studio configuration/implementation.
Sep 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM
@ensamgud:

What is your OS language and VS language?

Can you run VS with the /log switch and share the log file here?
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I got the same error. In my case there was a visual studio addin that was the culprit. Disabling it and restarting visual studio did the trick.
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I disabled one of my Visual Studio addins and the problem is now gone. I will notify the addin developer of the problem.
Sep 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Could you share the culprit add-ins that you installed? We want to document it as a Known Issue so that people can look it up in the future.
Sep 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM
In my case the add-in was one of my own. It's on github https://github.com/dhvik/DocumentationVs12AddIn and the issue is already reported.

You can install the add-in to reproduce the error and maybe stabilize the nuget package manager to not be vulnerable to faulty add-ins.
Sep 16, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Same as above, Dan Händevik's Documentation Addin. A current workaround is to keep it disabled while VS is launching and enable if afterwards.
Sep 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM
@ensamgud: what is the official name of Dan Händevik's documentation add-in? I searched the vs gallery but couldn't find it.