stopping "Configuring the solution to restore NuGet packages on build..."

Topics: General
Jun 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I intermittently find that i'll get the following dialog in my vs12 upd2->3 based solution work where i'm running nuget package manager extension 2.5.40416.9020 .
NuGet Package Manager
Configuring the solution to restore NuGet packages on build...
At this point if I haven't saved the underlying source code files i'm working on then that work is lost because I have no way to regain control of visual studio and this dialog never goes away, even across win8 suspend/restarts. The only solution I've found is to task manager kill devenv.exe process.

Is there some way I can kill that dialog when this happens?
Developer
Jul 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Can you check if your network connection is good? Did you re-configure your package sources?
Jul 3, 2013 at 11:44 PM
network connections are good
did not reconfigure package sources
don't have a predictable way to repro this happens intermittently from time to time
sometimes it seems changing package manager console source from specific selection to "All" makes it go away but could just be coincidence
Jan 24 at 2:45 PM
Edited Jan 24 at 2:45 PM
This happens to me EVERY time I open a solution with VS2012. Everything seems to be working fine. Should this not be happening??? Thx, Dave
Jan 30 at 6:01 AM
So can anyone say if this is normal to get this message every time I open a solution?
Jan 30 at 1:41 PM
Edited Jan 30 at 1:43 PM
Dave, prior to moving to vs13 the way I addressed this issue was set package source in package manager console to "All" and then hitting the "Restore" information window button exposed there.

In my case this issue was arising because some of my packages for solution in question came from private NuGet feed and so extension needed to know it was okay to use all configured feeds to restore packages.

That may be your situation or you may be missing a feed definition in your settings that is needed in order to restore one or more of your solution packages. I'd also check to confirm you have latest vs12 update installed and NuGet extension vsix.
Sep 15 at 5:52 PM
hi - I also had this problem, where the message "configuring the solution to restore nuget packages on build" kept showing and I could not interact with Visual Studio 2013.

Solution:
  1. close Visual Studio (if necessary, kill it via the Task Manager)
  2. delete any .suo files in the Solution directory
  3. open Visual Studio
  4. open the solution again. It should work OK now