Do I have to register for an account if I don't publish to public repository

Topics: General
Jun 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I plan on using NuGet to package up and manage assemblies for in-house use only.

Do I need to have an account if I am creating npkg files that I don't plan to ever publish to the public repository, ?

Can I still create packages without the APIKey? If not, can I create my own APIkey?

Richard
Jun 21, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Hi,

If you are familiar with the NuGet command line tool, you will see immediately that "nuget pack" does not require any account nor API key. Thus, you can freely create NuGet packages.

API key is only required when you use "nuget push",

http://docs.nuget.org/docs/creating-packages/creating-and-publishing-a-package

Next time you might try it out before asking, as a simple test can show you more than any documentation. Good luck.
Jun 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Knowing this decides for me that for our purposes we should probably use a shared folder for packages rather than implement a local NuGet repository service.

Actually, it was the content of the link you reference that prompted the question. As far as trying it first, I was looking for confirmation from users who had experience that otherwise takes an undetermined amount of time for me to acquire by trial and error. It never hurts to ask.

While we use NuGet packages from the public repository, it is only recently that I considered using it for in-house publication.

Thanks
Developer
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM
No, you don't need to create an account if you don't plan to publish it to nuget.org gallery.

You can certainly create packages without ApiKey. The ApiKey is only for publishing packages to nuget.org