Circular reference to self. Please help

Topics: Ecosystem, General
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Hi, I have a real blocking issue.
I have a sort of core library solution in vs that has a couple projects in it. I reference these projects in other solutions. I want to create nuget packages for these projects so I can keep them versioned and up to date in my solutions. The projects reference structure is as follows
CC.Core
refs
   -- CC.Core.Utilities
   -- CC.Security
   -- CC.HtmlHelpers
   -- HtmlTags
CC.Core.Utilities
refs
    -- no other proj
CC.Security
refs
    -- no other proj
CC.HtmlHelpers
refs
    -- CC.Core.Utilities
HtmlTags
refs
     -- no other proj
These are all project references in the VS solution.
In the CC.Core nuspec I have a dependency section where I reference the above dependencies. I have nuspec files for each one and in my build I build each nuspec with the corresponding version number ( all the same for each pack ).

The problem is that when I try to install the CC.Core Package I get a circular reference.
Circular dependency detected 'CC.Core 1.0.0.16 => CC.Core 1.0.0.16'.
I just don't see where there is a circular reference or why I am getting this error. But now that I am depending on nuget for these packages and they wont install I either have to roll a bunch of stuff back or I can't develop on these dependent solutions.
Please let me know you have any ideas or need more information.
Thank you,
Raif
Mar 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Hi Raif,

It is really during install that you get this message ? I've already seen similar issues, but they triggered when packing.
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Yes this is definitely during install. It packs and publishes just fine. I'm willing to try any remedy that might have worked for people experiencing it during pack though.
Thanks,
R
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I was talking about http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/2965

There, the issue could be worked around by making sure all your dependencies where listed in packages.config.

In your case, that is not the issue. You should probably try reporting this issue, as it is clearly a bug (at a minimum, the error message is inappropriate).
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Will do, or did. That is I logged an "issue" on nuget.codeplex.com. Hopefully that will be helpful to someone.
Thanks,
R
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
To help us diagnose the bug, could you list each package with the detailed dependencies of each of them?
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Hi, so I submitted an issue #3153. Someone there asked for the files so I sent a zip up to that thread. I can post the same zip here if you would like or you can visit that issue. the zip contains all nuspecs, nupkgs and symbols.nupkgs.
Should I post here too?
thanks,
R
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yes, I requested the file in #3153 :) No need to post it here. I'll look at the .zip file. Thanks for sharing.