Allow to list / choose files from packages

Topics: General
Jan 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I like Nuget, but most of the time I think it pollutes the projects too much with lots of unnecessary files. In the end for some projects, I prefer to remove the nuget package and manually manage the dependencies it to avoid the mess.

For example, most javascript packages have a .vsdoc,.js .intelisense.js, which I just don't care about. Lots of .NET packages have dozens of culture resources that I don't use as well.

While some of it could be fixed by package developers, 2 simple things could be done to help with this problem:

1. Have a way to list which files are inside the package in the nuget website and command line. Most package managers for other uses have this and 

2. Allow for us to choose which files should be copied to the project. This can be an advanced option, and when you update the package you could be presented with the screen to choose the files again. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

1. We'll add this feature to nuget.org in the upcoming release. In the mean time, have you tried NuGet Package Explorer?

2. We have received similar requests for this option. We'll consider doing that.

An easy work around now is just deleting the files that you don't need.