Suggestion for updates screen

Topics: General
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

When you are in visual studio and viewing the "Updates" tab on the "Manage NuGet Packages" screen - it shows you all packages that have newer versions, but it doesn't show you which version you already have, or where they are installed.

Just like the "Installed packages" tab will show you the "Currently installed in projects" section, the updates tab should show that plus the installed version number.  That would make things much easier.  As it sits now, I go back and forth between the two tabs constantly.

It would also be great if one could provide a link to a changelog in their package with nuget putting some version numbers on the querystring so you can see "what's new in this version since your old version".

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

NuGet does show the current versions in the Updates tab. When you select the package, look at the details pane on the right. There are two versions listed below the Id.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I have nuget 2.2.31210.9045 installed, and I do not have two versions listed.  It lists only the version of the update.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Look at the Details pane on the right, not the one in the middle. It says "Installed version", below the "Version:" label.

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Ok, I figured out why we are seeing different things.

The "Installed Version" text only shows up if you are in the nuget dialog for the project.  I was talking about the nuget dialog for the solution, in which case it does not show up.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Ah, that's right, and that's by design. When you open the dialog for the solution, NuGet doesn't show the installed version because there can be many. Different projects can have different installed versions of the same package.