NuGet VS2010 Extension Kills PowerConsole Intellisence

Topics: Ecosystem, General
Sep 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

This is a big problem for our teams. It is also described here: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/67620d8c-93dd-4e57-aa86-c9404acbd7b3/view/Discussions . There is a bug on this site which stops me from posting replies to discussions.

The PowerConsole and NuGet VS2010 extensions cannot co-exist.

We use Power Console a lot to generate project templates and for running build and deployment scripts. Without intellisence it's virtually useless. Once the Nuget extension is installed we loose all the TAB activated intellisence. We have tried re-installing PowerConsole which fixes the problem until you restart VS2010 and then intellisence is lost again.

If we uninstall the NuGet VS2010 extension, intellisence with PowerConsole works fine.

Could you either:

a) Release the PowerConsole source so I can have a crack at fixing this bug

b) Fix this bug as a priority 

Other than that grump love your work.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Why don't you use the NuGet console for your build and deployment scripts? What is in PowerConsole that you need that is not available in NuGet console?

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I'm pritty new to NuGet, 2 days work with it so far. Tested my profile and all my scripts in the Package Manager Console Host this morning and they work.

Good answer, better to have just one VS2010 extension for PowerShell than two. I guess the Nuget one is basically Power Console anyway and it kind of makes sense now that Power Console stopped working with NuGet installed, but there is still a got ya bug there.

One thing I noticed is that PowerConsole stores it's profile here:

C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\PowerConsole\Profile.ps1

Whilst NuGet stores it here: 

C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\NuGet_profile.ps1

Thanks Junky