For months unable to get any response from Nuget team regarding abuse

Topics: Ecosystem
Jul 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I run the CassiniDev project.  

I have recently setup CassiniDev in my CI environment and wish to publish binaries via nuget.

Unfortunately another person, without my knowledge, has taken the package CassiniDev in nuget and 1) let the binaries fall behind and 2) does not respond to requests for ownership transfer.

I have used the 'contact author' and 'report abuse' links several times over the last 2 months and have had zero response.  

I have tried contacting nuget team members via codeplex with no response.

While I cannot fault the person who submitted the package, failing to update or respond leaves me feeling like my project has been squatted.

Lack of any response from nuget team is frustrating and I have been forced to follow the lead of other people that have had to take the 'the-real-xxxx' route to get packages published.

This leads to fragmentation and confusion.

I would really like to get some resolution here.

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear this. Is this the first time you've contacted the discussion thread?
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM

yes, but how relevant is that?  i used the tools provided on the site 8 times and sent messages to team coordinator (don't remember who) through codeplex. should a user of nuget have to spelunk codeplex to get response from the public site?  just sayin..

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:51 AM
You are correct. A user of NuGet should not have to spelunk codeplex to get a response from the public site. And neither should a package creator (which is the role you are seeing issues with), although it's a tiny bit more relevant than an ordinary user. I am not one of the gallery curators but I sent a message out earlier to find out who is answering the gallery "report abuse" emails.

You followed the correct procedure, to contact the package owner and then to report abuse when you didn't get a response. It's unfortunate that the report abuse link did not work for some reason. I did reach out to Rob Gibbens (@RobGibbens) as he is the guy that is holding what I believe is the package in question ( ). It points to your codeplex project, but please let me know if this is incorrect.

This is I believe the second time we've run across a scenario where someone who owns a project has had issues contacting a package owner and subsequently abuse ( the first time was nunit ). I'm not sure if it is a technological breakdown or not but it's definitely something that might need to be investigated.

I tried sending you an email through one of your packages. Please let me know if it came through or not.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:02 AM

yes, we are in contact. thanks for getting on this.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:38 AM

I'm pretty sure this is the first I've heard of this request, and only because Rob contacted me on twitter. I always give ownership of packages back to the rightful authors as soon as the ask for it. I've had many problems with nuget notifying either party about it though. I'm on my phone now, but will of course add you as an owner of the package first thing in the morning.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:52 AM

problem solved. 

fwiw - i sent 4 messages to you over the last 2 months via the 'contact author' link on the package page. then i started clicking 'report abuse'. same non-response.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Hmm... I never got them. I just searched my Gmail and hotmail, and didn't find anything. As I said, I seen a lot of flakiness in the nuget email system. I'll be happy to transfer ownership. Sorry about the delay, and thanks for a great project.

What's your Nuget name?

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Sky, I've added you (sky.sanders) to the CassiniDev package.  It currently says "pending approval" at the moment.