Gravatars should only show if meets rating expectactions

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Do we check gravatar ratings on nuget.org before displaying?

I personally don't take much offense to something like this but others might. Since we implemented an entire feature based on some download privacy rights in some obscure countries who would probably won't use nuget in the first place, we shouldn't have too much issue with checking the rating of a gravatar before displaying it on nuget.org - and it's less invasive to everyone else, too!

Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM

We already ask Gravatar to serve us "G" rated images. If you notice the url for the user's image, you'd notice it has a "r=g" parameter which is the documented way to request a rating filter. However, they seem to deem this image as acceptable for the general audience. So the issue here is with Gravatar, you should probably report it with them. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Good to know on the G rating.

Is there a way to report a user without an email address? Since that is unknown unless the user responds to an email through nuget.org, one would be unable to report a user unless there are other methods...

On Jul 10, 2012 7:38 PM, "pranavkm" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

We already ask Gravatar to serve us "G" rated images. If you notice the url for the user's image, you'd notice it has a "r=g" parameter which is the documented way to request a rating filter. However, they seem to deem this image as acceptable for the general audience. So the issue here is with Gravatar, you should probably report it with them.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nuget@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nuget@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM
sure just use the hash

-d

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM, ferventcoder <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Good to know on the G rating.

Is there a way to report a user without an email address? Since that is unknown unless the user responds to an email through nuget.org, one would be unable to report a user unless there are other methods...

On Jul 10, 2012 7:38 PM, "pranavkm" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (nuget@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email nuget@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Updated the rating.

Changed to a new gravatar (cause the new rating will cause the exisiting grav to be ignored).

~ le sigh~

Developer
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM

In this specific case, I spoke to him on Jabbr and Pure.Krome said he would fix the image. I'm going to hope this happens infrequently enough that we could handle this manually. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Right on. Like I mentioned, doesn't bother me much at all but it might bother other folks.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:23 AM

The only reason I made light of it is I was showing a coworker something and they happened to notice the image.

They were also okay with it, but then I started thinking... I don't want to get into a case of NSFW on nuget.org and see it get banned at my workplace.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Are we discussing the headphones on the boobs photo? 

It shows NOTHING explicit, it's completely safe for work, you see FAR worse photos, more explicit photos visiting ANY news website around the world. I can't believe you raised this as an issue.

Maybe your work should go ban every website on the internet rather worrying about someone's non-explicit avatar on a code repository website.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:35 AM

+1 for JabbR == awesome place to get help / give help :)

/me hat tips @pranavkm :)

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Great naturalcause, I'm glad you feel that way! Now please print it and display it proudly at your work desk. See if your coworkers all feel the same way as you since it is "completely safe for work".

To frame your reference, I used to wear a shirt back in college that said "Condom?" not minding the temporary misunderstanding since it was advocating the use of condoms (back said "Roll Before You Rock"). Of course that shirt also helped me out of a job as well. I digress...

When I was an officer in the military you go through this annual training known as POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harrassment). One of the biggest things they drill into your head has to do with things you see going on around you and whether you can choose to ignore those things. As a leader in the military it is against the law for you to sit and do nothing when you see things that are questionable.

What I am trying to get at is I feel as one of the ambassadors of NuGet, therefore when I see something that is questionable it should be noted. What is not in question here is the relativity of this concern as compared to other websites. Just NuGet and what folks coming to NuGet expect to see.