NuGet.exe Update: what does it actually do?

Topics: General
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Edited Jul 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Given:

- My solution:
c:\MySolution\
  packages\
    MyPackage\
      lib\
      MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-1.nupkg
  MyProject\
    packages.config
    MyProject.csproj
  MySolution.sln

- local repository:
c:\nuget
  MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-1.nupkg
  MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-2.nupkg

As you can see MyProject uses MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-1. Now I want to update it to MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-2.

I run (under "c:\MySolution"):

nuget.exe update MyPackage\packages.config -RepositoryPath .\packages -Source c:\NuGet -Prerelease

Nothing happens. NuGet.exe doesn't output any info or error. MyPackage isn't updated.

What does "nuget update" actually do? And is it possible to update packages outside VS at all?

My scenario is two local dependant (via packages) solutions. The second one depends on the first one's package (package which is produced from the first solution). I made a change in the 1st one and want to update the 2nd solution.

I can just delete all packages inside "packages" directory but opened VS prevents deleting packages' files.

I can do an update inside VS, but NuGet inside VS doesn't support "-ExcludeVersion" option and after the update I'll get "packages\MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-2" instead of "packages\MyPackage" and changed csproj file (all references will be changed). This is very inconvinient.

What I want is just to have replaced "MyPackage" folder with the new version (MyPackage.1.0.0-dev-2.nupkg). Is it possible?