Nuget for Resource - test data management

Topics: General
Jun 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

does anybody uses nuget for additional resources and/or test data management and versioning? For example say that we want to develop an application on top of sqlite and we want to manage the version of the database files. Similarly if we want to have large resource files (eg binary) that are updated in sync with the source code.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Hmm - you can certainly try nuget for this. I am not sure how it will do. I put together a 120MB package for testing and I have to say the results were less than stellar. You might take a look at Bottles (

If you are using sql files, you can take a dependency on something like RoundhousE ( and call out to it during your install to update the database. But that won't work for everybody (install.ps1 is only run once on install). Instead you could set up a powershell script that would execute and update the database. It would be an extra step after someone gets the files.

Keep in mind that nuget only works for certain project types as well (not sure if it would work for a database project, I usually keep mine in a regular class library).