Install-Package : The specified cryptographic algorithm is not supported on this platform

Topics: General
May 24, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Hi,

Just upgraded to 1.8 and am getting the error below when attempting to install the nunit package.  Does any one know the cause of this. Looks like im not the only person getting this error: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10730956/servicestack-error-when-installing-from-nuget-cryptogrphic-algorithm-not-suppo

Install-Package : The specified cryptographic algorithm is not supported on this platform.
At line:1 char:16
+ Install-Package <<<<  NUnit -ProjectName MyProject
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], PlatformNotSupportedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PowerShell.Commands.InstallPackageCommand

I am on Windows XP SP 3.

Thanks in advance,

Dom

May 24, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Given this problem does anyone know how i can revert to the 1.7 version? This is causing me pain as i cant do anything nuget related.

May 24, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Having same iusse here. Windows XP SP 3. It seems that some internal algorit had been updated and now uses RSA/AES 256 algorithm that is not suppoerted in older systems.

May 24, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Edited May 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I'm getting this same problem - very annoying. Any luck working out how to rollback the VS extension so I can get back to work?

PS I'm also stuck on XP - not through choice, the company is slowly upgrading to Win7.

May 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Same problem here. Colleagues also on XP sp3 are using 1.7 no problem so I want to install that until this is resolved. Anyone know where I can get 1.7 download? Or is it possible to just copy from a colleagues machine?

Developer
May 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We will investigate the issue. Meanwhile, you can download the 1.7 vsix from this link: http://nuget.codeplex.com/downloads/get/382255

Developer
May 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

After you get that error, can you type $error.Exception.StackTrace into the console and post the stack trace here?

May 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Edited May 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM
dotnetjunky wrote:

After you get that error, can you type $error.Exception.StackTrace into the console and post the stack trace here?

PM> install-package NUnit
Install-Package : The specified cryptographic algorithm is not supported on this platform.
+ install-package <<<<  NUnit
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], PlatformNotSupportedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PowerShell.Commands.InstallPackageCommand

PM> $error.Exception.StackTrace
PM>

Developer
May 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Sorry, I typed the wrong command. It should be: $error[0].Exception.StackTrace

May 24, 2012 at 1:40 PM
dotnetjunky wrote:

Sorry, I typed the wrong command. It should be: $error[0].Exception.StackTrace

Unfortunately I've now restored 1.7 and up and running again. If I get some time at the end of the day and if no one else has responded, I'll re-apply 1.8 to get you the stacktrace.

May 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Each package is licensed to you by its owner. Microsoft is not responsible for, nor does it grant any licenses to, third-party packages. Some packages may include dependencies which are governed by additional licenses. Follow the package source (feed) URL to determine any dependencies.

Package Manager Console Host Version 1.8.30423.9026

Type 'get-help NuGet' to see all available NuGet commands.

PM> Install-Package SignalR
Attempting to resolve dependency 'SignalR.Hosting.AspNet (≥ 0.5.0)'.
+ Install-Package <<<<  SignalR

PM> $error[0].Exception.StackTrace
   at System.Security.Cryptography.CapiNative.AcquireCsp(String keyContainer, String providerName, ProviderType providerType, CryptAcquireContextFlags flags, Boolean throwPlatformE
xception)
   at System.Security.Cryptography.SHA512CryptoServiceProvider..ctor()
   at NuGet.CryptoHashProvider.GetHashAlgorithm()
   at NuGet.CryptoHashProvider.CalculateHash(Byte[] data)
   at NuGet.PackageExtensions.GetHash(IPackage package, IHashProvider hashProvider)
   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.ShouldUpdatePackage(IPackageRepository cacheRepository)
   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.ShouldUpdatePackage()
   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.LazyWithRecreate`1.get_Value()
   at NuGet.DataServicePackage.get_AssemblyReferences()
   at NuGet.PackageExtensions.HasProjectContent(IPackage package)
   at NuGet.PackageWalker.GetPackageTarget(IPackage package)
   at NuGet.PackageWalker.GetPackageInfo(IPackage package)
   at NuGet.PackageWalker.Walk(IPackage package)
   at NuGet.InstallWalker.ResolveOperations(IPackage package)
   at NuGet.PackageManager.Execute(IPackage package, IPackageOperationResolver resolver)
   at NuGet.PackageManager.InstallPackage(IPackage package, Boolean ignoreDependencies, Boolean allowPrereleaseVersions)
   at NuGet.VisualStudio.VsPackageManager.<>c__DisplayClass4.<InstallPackage>b__3()
   at NuGet.VisualStudio.VsPackageManager.RunSolutionAction(Action action)
   at NuGet.VisualStudio.VsPackageManager.InstallPackage(IProjectManager projectManager, String packageId, SemanticVersion version, Boolean ignoreDependencies, Boolean allowPrerele
aseVersions, Boolean skipAssemblyReferences, ILogger logger)
   at NuGet.VisualStudio.VsPackageManager.InstallPackage(IProjectManager projectManager, String packageId, SemanticVersion version, Boolean ignoreDependencies, Boolean allowPrerele
aseVersions, ILogger logger)
   at NuGet.PowerShell.Commands.InstallPackageCommand.ProcessRecordCore()
   at NuGet.PowerShell.Commands.NuGetBaseCommand.ProcessRecord()
PM>

Developer
May 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
May 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Thanks for the link to the 1.7 version I am back in action. In the future is it possible to include a link to the previous version when a new version is released just in case a breaking change occurs like this one?