Upgrade NuGet Package Restore from 1.6 to 1.7

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I've enabled NuGet Package Restore on a project with 1.6, but with the newer version, I'd like to update everything to version 1.7.

I know I can simply update the nuget.exe to version 1.7 in the .nuget folder, but I was hoping for a more "Visual Studio" integration way, such as seeing a new menu option show up that says "Update NuGet Package Restore to version 1.7" or something like that.

I have a large number of projects that are using NuGet Package Restore and I was hoping to crack each one open, update, and check-in.

Also, I was wanting to make sure that if there were changes to the .targets file between 1.6 and 1.7 that those would be updated as well.

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM

I'm another user with the same problem/question. Even if no VS integration exists for this today - is there any way doing this from the cmd using eg nuget.exe (not to only update nuget.exe itself but also all csproj files in solution and the nuget.target file)? Quite a tedious work with a large solution file otherwise...

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Edited Apr 27, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Remove Fake Data Recovery Virus

Developer
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM

@nfleltch, we're exploring the option of not having the exe checked into your solution. This plays better with git and mercurial which are less forgiving about checking in binaries into your version control and you'd have the added advantage of always going up against the latest version of the executable. Of course we still have a poor story for updating the msbuild target itself and some sort of gesture in VS that updates it would be nice.

@rogerkratz What do you mean by updating csproj files in solution? Are you talking of updating installed packages?

Developer
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

@pranavkm When "enable nuget package restore" there's stuff put in the project file like <solutiondir../>., <restorepackages.../>. Maybe I was wrong, but I had the impression that these kind of modifaction changed/might change depending on what nuget version was used.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yeah, those things rarely changes between versions but we should not assume that they are fixed. We need to take that into consideration for the upgrade scenario.