Packages on software project level

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I'm working on a software project with multiple solutions. I would like to share packages not only an solution level but on software project level (not a VisualStudio project). It's important for the build and installation process to keep all packages in a single place. Is there any way to force NuGet to save packages in a folder shared by all solutions?

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Absolutely, make sure all solutions are in the same directory.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Edited Feb 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Unfortunately this is not possible. We have several subsystems which must be kept in different folders. However I found a solution. I can copy all requiered packages into a shared folder and define a new package source in the package manager. So I'm able to use OSS packages side by side with our internal packages.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM

@olafmeyer You're going to run into problems. Having a package source doesn't change where NuGet puts the installed packages, which is in a packages folder at the solution root, so you'll end up with different packages folders depending on which solution you're using. All sorts of problems can arise from this. The only way we support multiple solutions today is as @ferventcoder described, keeping them all in the same folder, and having the same folder depth for each project in the solutions. You can read some related discussion of this at

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Yes, you are right.