Why Isn't StyleCop Used During Build?

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Hi,

I've created a local workspace with the NuGet source default branch to have a look around and see if there's anything I can do to contribute to the project.  I've read the Getting Started guidelines and looked at the coding style guidelines, and one thing that strikes me is that StyleCop isn't being used to make it easier to maintain consistent coding guidelines across the codebase.

Is there any particular reason why StyleCop isn't integrated with the local/CI MSBuild project to build the code, like FxCop is?

If the reason is that it just happens that no one has done so, I'd be happy to integrate it into the build process and write a StyleCop ruleset that matches the guidelines for NuGet.

Martin

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for bringing this up @martincostello. That said, we talked about this, and we don't want to add StyleCop. Deciding on rules, getting it all set up, documenting our conventions, and added built times just don't seem worth it for how few pull requests we get, and we think after spending some time in the code our style is pretty easy to pick up on.