NuGet Support in Artifactory

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hi, NuGet community!

Starting version 2.5 Artifactory Binary Repository Manager supports NuGet.

I summarized my take on the state of dependency management in .NET in this blog post, and naturally, it flatters NuGet big time as the best solution. I'll be glad to hear your comments. Enjoy reading and spread the word.

Thanks!

Baruch.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I just read through your blog post and it sounds pretty interesting.

So if I understand correctly, Artifactory acts as a sort of NuGet feed aggregator that combines several external feeds, provides caching for them, and also supports directly managing its own set of packages. So I assume the idea is to remove all the standard NuGet feeds, and point to the single Artifactory instead.

Do I have that more or less right?

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Almost correct.

Though, the goal isn't to replace the standard NuGet feed altogether, but to give the user a central point that provides better reliability, availability and control than what the current standard feeds can offer.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Artifactory essentially gives an organization better control over the consumption of NuGet packages, which is difficult to achieve otherwise. For example:

• You can proxy all remote NuGet feeds and expose them with locally deployed packages under a single feed.
  • You can configure who can proxy/deploy new packages and who can only consume already cached packages.
  • If you have certain packages that you wish to block (e.g. deprecated versions of a library), then it is possible to filter out such packages by using patten-based rules, or simply moving packages away to another non-accessible repository in Artifactory.
  • Artifactory manages a set of named repositories (each with its unique URL). So, from a single server you can separate the packages exposed to different projects/teams, so that each project sees/uses his certified packages (you can also share packages via common repositories).

HTH,

Yoav