OutOfMemoryException installing multiple dependencies

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I have an internal package that has a total of 19 cascading dependencies, some of them internal, some external. Trying to install this package into a project using the Visual Studio Package Manager is throwing an OutOfMemoryException after resolving and installing all of the dependencies. I previously got the same exception while installing the same package into a different project; I was able to resolve that by restarting Visual Studio and trying again. This time, restarting Visual Studio and even the machine doesn't help. The crazy thing is that because this package has already been installed in another project, all of the dependencies have already been installed in the solution. So after resolving all of the dependencies and verifying that they are installed, all that is left to do is add the appropriate references to the project and the local packages.config. But somehow that is resulting in an OutOfMemoryException.

Memory usage for devenv as reported by Task Manager never tops 1 GB.
OS is Win XP 32-bit.

The external packages on which the target package directly depends are:
Common.Logging 1.2
Newtonsoft.Json 4.0.2
NVelocity 1.0.3
Spring.Data.NHibernate21 1.3.2

The full list of dependencies also includes:
log4net 1.2.10
Unity 2.0.414.0
Iesi.Collections 1.0.1
Antlr 3.1.1
Castle.DynamicProxy 2.1.0
Castle.Core 1.1.0
Spring.Aop 1.3.2
Spring.Core 1.3.2
Spring.Data 1.3.2

There are also 4 internal dependencies.

If there is any other information I can provide that would help troubleshoot this problem, please let me know. I cannot provide the internal packages, as they contain proprietary code.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:31 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.