Drop the New-Package and Open-PackagePage commands

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We're considering dropping the New-Package and Open-PackagePage commands in the NuGet PS console due to lack of usage. What do you think? Are you using them? Will you miss them if we remove them?

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Please keep open-packagepage. I'm finding it very useful when evaluating search results.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM

What specifically do you use it for?

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Composing music.
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Open-PackagePage
Seriously though, I am using it for it's intended purpose, which is to open a package's site. It's very useful and greatly speeds up the process when I need to go to the site for some reason, whether learning or to file a bug.

Just because a feature is seen as underused does not mean it is not useful. It just means that maybe folks don't even know it is there. If you want to remove a feature that has a good use case, it should also be for good reason. Like the maintenance of it is a bear or it is broken.

Or put it into an ancillary extension and allow me to install it. But don't destroy the feature off just because. Thoughts?

Where are you getting your results from in determining if it is underused?
Jan 23, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yes, the reason why we want to remove it is because of maintenance cost and testing cost. For example, when we added support for prerelease packages, we had to make sure these commands work with prerelease packages too.

Admittedly, we don't have official data of usage of these commands. I deduce the lack of usage from twitter, this discussion board and our bug log. I haven't seen anyone ask for the features provided by these commands.

I can leave Open-PackagePage for now and re-evaluate it in the future.