setting projectUrl to <Package>\Content\readme.html

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Is there a way to specify projectUrl such that it points at a <package>\Content\ReadMe.txt or ReadMe.html file versus it having to be hosted on some publicly accessible url?

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No, not today. The closest thing was this change, but that's not quite the same thing. But note that in the end, the project URL needs to be a publicly accessible URL for it to be listed on next to the package. Though conceivably, could host it itself and point to that. Is that what you meant?

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Yeah just thinking of ways to expose <licenseUrl>, <projectUrl> and <iconUrl> without having to own and operate a publicly accessible web site.   If found a way to host these files using my free skydrive storage, but unfortunately updating those files changes their url so its not so good for changing that content after the package has been released.  I might expect social networking sites like facebook may have content areas one could use where updates to the content allows the url to stay the same.   In the end like you said if // provided a drop zone for these three items for each package and allowed them to be updated w/o changing the url then that would be useful.   Not sure how many other package publishers would have this issue or need.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

We have a gallery work item tracking the license and icon:

I'm less sure about project URL though. I'd think any package should have a live web site to go along with it for information, discussions, bugs, etc... In most cases, it's just the github/codeplex/etc URL.