NuGet package fails to install during project creation

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Folks, first off, thanks for NuGet.  It rocks.  And secondly, this issue spans several possible factors, but I'm starting here in case anyone has seen it before.

I have created a NuGet package that consists of a set of scaffolders, similar to MvcScaffolding or WebApiScaffolding.  The package builds fine.  I have included the package into a .VSIX, and also have a project template that calls the NuGet wizard extension:

<WizardExtension>
    <Assembly>NuGet.VisualStudio.Interop, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a</Assembly>
    <FullClassName>NuGet.VisualStudio.TemplateWizard</FullClassName>
  </WizardExtension>

(This is, of course, defined in the .vstemplate).

Here's the behavior:

When I F5 in Visual Studio to deploy and debug my VSIX to the experimental instance of Visual Studio, the project is created from the template and a slew of other packages are installed (including some of my own).  However, I also get an error message at the end stating that this particular scaffolding package couldn't be installed.  No meaningful error information is given.

What's odd, though, is that after the project is created, I can use the NuGet package manager inside Visual Studio to add the same package (deployed as part of the vsix extension under the VS10 Exp folder) and it installs successfully.

I have tried to turn on logging for Visual Studio, to no avail.  I'm not sure how to enable logging for NuGet itself while installing inside Visual Studio.  Does anyone have any ideas that might get me closer to finding the root cause?

Thanks,

David

Developer
Jan 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Not entirely certain, but does running VS with the /log switch (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272.aspx) help?

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Sorry for the late reply -- I can't seem to get the /log switch to work with the experimental hive.  Either that, or the error doesn't log via the VS logging mechanism.  I never see the log file generated when the error occurs.