Enhance VS Extension (Proposal 2)

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Please also see Enhance VS Extension (Proposal 1).

Proposal: Add a "Publish Nuget" command and a "Publish Nuget settings" command to the Build menu using the VS Extension.

The former will look for publish settings in the .csproj/.vbproj file, and if absent will first open the Publish Nuget settings dialog.  If present, it will automatically publish the NuGet using the specified settings.

The latter will allow editing of publish settings, which will be added to the .csproj/.vbproj file.

For now this will support:

• saving the created NuGet to the file system.
  • pushing the NuGet to a NuGet server.

But it can be extended with other options - like specifying where the NuSpec file is (which could be respected by the NuGet command line and Enhance VS Extension (Proposal 1). Also adding command line option to the NuGet pack call, etc.

Also a "Publish All Nugets" command will be added to the Build menu to publish all the NuGets in a solution.

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I like this idea! In fact, there's already an issue closely related to this one: http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/912

We just need to do a bit of design work. If you want to create some mock-ups and write out how it'd work, we can iterate on it with you.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I've added a comment to that workitem.

I think this can be combined with Enhance VS Extension (Proposal 1), by actually placing Publish settings on the project properties tab, either that, or making it look like Web Site publish settings.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I do in fact have a prototype for the Publish Package command working for the work item 912. However, as I explained in the comment, we later decided not to do it because it will require a lot of effort to keep it on par with nuget.exe.