How to know when dependency tree has finished installing

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I am making an application that uses NuGet behind the scenes to implement addons. I was looking for a way to know when the entire process of installing a package is complete. By this I mean not just when each package is installed, but when the package I told it to install AND all of it's depencies have finished. At this point I would imagine showing a message to the user that the process has been completed. It looks like there is no way to currently do this, which brought up issue 1723.

I was looking at Visual Studio's package installer and they go through the entire process, and then close the window when it has been completed. This means they must have some knowledge of the install process's status. How does VS do it? It also has a progress bar, are they doing anything more than just the download status of the single package the user requested? Ideally it should be a progress bar of the entire process, including the download of that package and all of it's dependencies.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM

If you are calling the PackageManager.InstallPackage() method, then it finishes when the method returns because it is synchronous. Isn't that what you need?