tfs source control and build processing of projects with NuGet package references

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2011 at 1:01 AM

On the subject of tfs source control and automated build processing of projects with NuGet package references I found the following blog which seemed to provide a reasonable story for how one gets tfs automated build processing to pull the necessary packages needed to build a project w/o keeping those binaries in the source tree.

It seemed also like a reasonable way to prime a new or wiped/refreshed dev workspace with the necessary nuget packages again w/o needing to keep the package binaries in the source tree. 

It essentially boils down to configuring a project's prebuild event to contain something like the following

nuget install "$(ProjectDir)packages.config" -o "$(SolutionDir)packages" -s;https://myhost/nuget

Currently whenever I add new packages to a project under source control I have to unwind all those adds and keep just the “$(ProjectDir)packages.config” edit change for this no binaries in source control approach to work.  Is anything happening in NuGet visual studio extension that would allow you to set an option that would keep it from adding any new packages to the set of pending changes in the case of a project that is hooked up to tfs source control?